What do I do next to set up Marathon Kids at my school?
Teacher and Home Schools
If you would like to participate in the Marathon Kids programme please fill in the Marathon Kids Application Form.
If you are an external facilitator who wishes to deliver Marathon Kids in a school, please contact us on [email protected] or call us on 01926 336628 / 07711349592 for further information about how to go about setting up the programme..
What is Marathon Kids?
What does it cost?
However, if you need equipment to facilitate your programme, everything you need from course equipment to rewards, can be purchased from the Kids Run Free online shop.
What do we get for Free?
- The Marathon Kids Digital Tracking System
- Support Tools including how to guides
- Marathon Kids certificates
- The Marathon Champion’s Guide
- The Marathon Champion’s Welcome Pack including the Marathon Champion's T-shirt
- A set of four exclusive Marathon Ambassador badges
- Two engagement posters
- Regular Marathon Kids Newsletter
- Continued support throughout the programme from our Schools Co-ordinators
What do we get in our Marathon Kids Starter Kit?
- 10 Event stakes to mark out the running course
- 3 Marathon Kids corner flags
- 6m of race tape
- 3 bags of Marathon Kids lap-bands (approx 750 elastic bands per bag)
- 2 Marathon Kids trainer print stencils, one left foot, one right foot
- 1 can of white playground quality professional line marking liquid
- 3 bags of Marathon Kids lap-bands (approx. 750 elastic bands per bag)
There is also an option to purchase the assistance of a dedicated Marathon Maker to come to your school to set up and launch the programme for you including; setting up your Digital Tracking System, presenting a Launch Day Assembly, leading your first running session and training you and your Marathon Ambassadors.
Do you provide certificates and medals?
Wrisbands, medals and many more rewards are available to purchase from the Kids Run Free online shop. These rewards are designed to help motivate the children and keep them engaged in the programme.
Our school only has a concrete playground, can we still take part in Marathon Kids?
- Reducing the total distance a child can run during each session
- Change the direction the children run each session
Don’t forget you can also purchase the Marathon Kids Hard Standing Playground Starter Kit from the Kids Run Free online shop.
Our field gets very muddy over the winter months, what should we do?
How do we record the children’s total distance run?
How long does Marathon Kids run for?
Marathon Kids runs in accordance with your academic year. September to May for schools in England, Wales & Northern Ireland and August to April for schools in Scotland.
Whilst there is no official start date, with schools coming onto the programme throughout the academic year, we do recommend as early a start as possible to give kids more time to run further.
During your summer holidays your Digital Tracking System will automatically archive the past academic years running data ready for you to upload the new academic years registers.
Do we have to raise money for the Kids Run Free?
How does the Marathon Kids programme fit into OFSTED and the extra curriculum?
The Marathon Kids concept fits with the ethos of 2013’s OFSTED report, “Beyond 2012: Outstanding physical education for all.” Furthermore, taking part in Marathon Kids can contribute to OFSTED requirements on the effective use of PE and sports funding, as outlined in OFSTED’s report, “Inspecting primary school PE and school sport: new funding January 2014.”
Teachers will see the positive impact of the programme on children as they begin to achieve and have the opportunity to become leaders and mentors.
Marathon Kids also fits with many of the criteria for your Healthy Schools Bronze, Silver and Gold Awards. Within our Teachers Resources you will find the Marathon Kids Lesson Ideas to inspire you, and the rest of the school, to extend the learning and engagement of Marathon Kids from the running course into the classroom.