Kids Run Free is a registered children’s charity. We are always growing and therefore, we are looking for dedicated and flexible volunteers throughout the UK to become Marathon Makers for our Marathon Kids schools programme.
Our mission is to create fun and sustainable running opportunities for toddlers to teens, igniting their passion for sport and physical activity and allowing them to become healthier, happier, more confident children.
We are looking for hard-working, sporty and outgoing individuals to take on this role. The position requires you to deliver the implementation of our exciting Marathon Kids programme within primary schools across the UK and maintain communication with the Schools Co-ordinator at head office.
The right person for this role will be organised, outgoing and pro-active with previous experience of working in a coaching environment, delivering training to individuals, working with children and have excellent presentation and communications skills (both written and verbal).
Title: Volunteer Marathon Maker
Responsible to: Chief Operations Officer
Hours: Part time, flexible days
Expenses: Petrol/travel and any agreed overnight accommodation costs will be paid by the charity
Liaising with the Schools Co-ordinator, you will deliver the implementation of the Marathon Kids programme at Primary Schools across the UK – including, but not limited to:
- Travelling to Primary Schools across the UK for an 8.30am arrival and 2.30pm depart
- Delivery of an engaging assembly to introduce children and teachers to the programme
- Measuring out and setting up running courses on the school field/playground
- Training teachers and Year 5/6 children to use the Digital Tracking System (an online database)
- Training teachers and Year 5/6 children to manage the programme
- Leading an inspiring running session to engage the children to run their first few laps of the course towards their marathons
- Continuous communication with the Schools Co-ordinator based at the head offices in Leamington Spa
Essential Work Experience
- Experience of delivering presentations to large numbers of children (up to 500)
- Experience of working in a coaching environment, ideally sports
- Experience of delivering training to individuals
Desirable Work Experience
- Experience of working remotely for a charity or company
- Experience of working within a school/educational environment
- Experience of using online databases
- Involvement in delivering sports activity
Essential Person Specification
- Flexible person willing to work on an ad hoc basis
- Strong organisational skills and administration ability
- Excellent oral and written communication with both adults and children
- Outgoing with a positive attitude
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team or on your own initiative
- Must have a full valid driver’s license and access to own transport
- Must be willing to travel across the UK to schools and possibly stay overnight
- Passionate about grassroots sports
The ideal volunteers will already have some experience in delivering sports activities within a school’s environment, however all training will be given where needed.
Training may come in a variety of ways – face to face, printable manuals/support tools, online courses or webinars.
- Background information about Kids Run Free and the charity
- All aspects of the Marathon Kids programme and its implementation
- How to use the Digital Tracking System
To apply for the role of Volunteer Marathon Maker, please email [email protected] with your current CV and covering letter briefly explaining why you think you are suited to this role.
Applicants will be invited for an interview, either face to face or via Face Time or similar, before an offer of volunteer hours is made.
We thank you for your interest and support of Kids Run Free.